The Israeli military launched strikes across Gaza early Tuesday, ending a weeks-long deadlock over extending the ceasefire that had paused fighting since January. According to Palestinian health ministry officials, at least 235 people were killed, AFP reported.
A senior Hamas official, cited by Reuters, accused Israel of “unilaterally ending the Gaza ceasefire” following a series of Israeli airstrikes that left dozens dead.
Hamas media, quoted by Reuters, confirmed that senior security official Mahmoud Abu Watfa was killed in the strikes. The head of the Palestinian health ministry, Mohammed Zaqut, told AFP that at least 330 people, including several children, had been killed, while dozens were wounded across Gaza.
“The health ministry has recorded more than 330 deaths, the majority being Palestinian women and children, with hundreds wounded, many in critical condition,” Zaqut stated.
In a joint statement, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) and Israel Security Agency said they were carrying out extensive strikes on Hamas targets in Gaza. According to Fox News, Israel consulted the White House before launching the attacks on Monday.
Ceasefire Collapses
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his government have decided to revoke the ceasefire agreement, exposing hostages in Gaza to uncertainty, Reuters quoted a Hamas official as saying.
Netanyahu stated that he had instructed the military to take “strong action” against Hamas in response to the group’s refusal to release hostages and its rejection of ceasefire proposals.
“Israel will now act against Hamas with increasing military strength,” his office announced.
Medics and witnesses reported that Israeli airstrikes targeted three houses in Deir Al-Balah, a building in Gaza City, and locations in Khan Younis and Rafah. The Palestinian civil emergency service counted at least 35 airstrikes on Gaza.
Ceasefire Disagreements
The renewed violence comes amid ongoing disputes between Israel and Hamas over the continuation of the three-phase ceasefire, which began in January.
Despite mediation efforts led by Arab negotiators and backed by the United States, the two sides have failed to reach a consensus over the past two weeks. During the initial phase of the ceasefire, Hamas released around three dozen hostages in exchange for nearly 2,000 Palestinian prisoners. However, negotiations for the second phase—aimed at securing the release of the remaining 60 hostages and ending the war—have stalled.
Netanyahu has repeatedly threatened to resume military action and, earlier this month, cut off food and aid deliveries to Gaza in an effort to pressure Hamas.
The conflict began on October 7, 2023, when Hamas launched a cross-border attack that killed approximately 1,200 people and took 250 hostages. In response, Israel’s military campaign has killed over 48,000 Palestinians, according to local health officials, and displaced around 90% of Gaza’s population. The Health Ministry in Gaza does not differentiate between civilians and militants but states that more than half of the casualties are women and children.
During the ceasefire, hundreds of thousands of displaced Palestinians were able to return to the ruins of their homes, providing some relief before hostilities resumed.